Job Title: iOS Engineer
Job location: Hartford, CT
Employment Type: Full-Time Job
The ESPN Consumer Devices team leads the development of some of the most downloaded and successful iOS apps, including ESPN ScoreCenter, WatchESPN, ESPN Radio, College Football, Longhorn Network, X Games, and many others. The Sr. Software Engineer works with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineer, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class ESPN apps.
The Sr. Software Engineer plays a leading role on a high performance team. The successful candidate will lead the development of quality code for multiple ESPN apps and will define and enforce coding standards and development best practices. The Sr. Software Engineer owns the technical implementation of projects and is expected to provide training, guidance, and mentorship to other members of team. This is a senior level development role that is expected to help guide decisions on technical strategy, architecture, tools and utilities.
This is a hands-on engineering position that requires expert level proficiency in Objective-C, iOS frameworks, device capabilities, and iOS version history. The Sr. Software Engineer will architect reusable solutions that are shared across all ESPN apps and leads the evaluation and implementation of any 3rd party libraries. The ideal candidate will be passionate about iOS, technology, apps, and sports.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
iOS Engineer | Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of new and existing ESPN aps for the iOS platform from conceptualization to launch
- Lead the development of quality code using cutting-edge techniques, tools, and utilities
- Lead the technical implementation of projects and help guide decisions on technical strategy, architecture, tools, and utilities
- Lead, train, guide, and mentor other developers on the team
- Research, test, and implement new techniques, frameworks, and utilities
- Help define and enforce development and design standards and best practices for other developers
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define new product requirements, features, and functionality
- Lead development efforts with 3rd party vendors
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies, and be prepared to apply them quickly
iOS Engineer | Requirements:
- 4+ years hands-on professional development experience with Objective-C and iOS
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Experience Objective-C programming and Xcode
- Demonstrated experience developing applications leveraging XML/JSON
- Solid understanding of data models and data access architecture and optimization
- Strong understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts
- Strong understanding of server side software, scalability, performance, and reliability
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services is required.
- Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
iOS Engineer | Preferred:
- Experience with Apple Push Notification Services, iOS Frameworks and Memory Management
- Demonstrated experience with Core Animation and Core Data
- Solid understanding of Apple iPhone/iPad app development life cycle including App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Experience with GitHub, iOS SDK, UIKit, Interface Builder, Instruments
- Experience with iOS build management and provisioning
- Experience with agile software development practice, scrum, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.
- Experience with TestFlight or similar app distribution platforms
- Experience with iOS crash reporting applications
- Experience evaluating and working with 3rd party libraries
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented, test-driven collaborative and iterative programming environment
- BS, BA, or advanced degree in computer science, engineering or related field, or relevant work experience.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.